2. 很多来自阿拉伯语的借词都是以al-开头的，它相当于英语里德定冠词the，如：alcohol, algebra, etc.
3. 为了便于理解记忆，可以如下拆解单词：al-(阿拉伯语前缀) + man-(men-"month"的变体) + -ac/-ack(阿拉伯语、希腊语、拉丁语中会见到的一种后缀)；由此表示与“月历”相关的事物，进一步将其与“历书、年鉴”联系起来。
阿拉伯语。al, 定冠词。-man, 同moon,月，此处指年。
almanac:  One of the first recorded uses of almanac in English is by Chaucer in his Treatise on the astrolabe 1391: ‘A table of the verray Moeuyng of the Mone from howre to howre, every day and in every signe, after thin Almenak’. At that time an almanac was specifically a table of the movements and positions of the sun, moon, and planets, from which astronomical calculations could be made; other refinements and additions, such as a calendar, came to be included over succeeding centuries.
The earliest authenticated reference to an almanac comes in the (Latin) works of the English scientist Roger Bacon, in the mid 13th century. But the ultimate source of the word is obscure. Its first syllable, al-, and its general relevance to medieval science and technology, strongly suggest an Arabic origin, but no convincing candidate has been found.
- almanac (n.)
- late 14c., attested in Anglo-Latin from mid-13c., via Old French almanach or Medieval Latin almanachus, which is of uncertain origin. It is sometimes said to be from a Spanish-Arabic al-manakh "calendar, almanac," but possibly ultimately from Late Greek almenichiakon "calendar," which is said to be of Coptic origin.
This word has been the subject of much speculation. Originally a book of permanent tables of astronomical data; one-year versions, combined with ecclesiastical calendars, date from 16c.; "astrological and weather predictions appear in 16-17th c.; the 'useful statistics' are a modern feature" [OED].
- 1. He would resume pacing the courtyard and reading the almanac.
- 2. His speeches are generalities from Poor Richard's Almanac.
- 3. A nautical almanac gives information about the sun, moon, tides, etc.
- 航海年历中有日 、 月 、 潮汐等的资料.
- 4. Joe sent away for a free almanac.
- 5. And then the almanac lied, and said that spring had come.
- 日历牌撒谎, 说是春天已经来到了.